Saturday 16 November 2013

Introductions

I saw the invitation on Twitter to a gathering of Glasgow cyclists in Siempre Cafe Bar in Partick, no agenda, just an open invitation to get together and chat about what it's like to be a cyclist in the city. Thing is I don’t consider myself “a cyclist” per se, if anything I think the description assisted pedestrian may be more apt. Notwithstanding I went along to the meeting with an open mind and not a little trepidation considering I knew only one or two people there and even then only through their Twitter feeds. I needn’t have worried, the get together was very friendly (as I expected) but also, given that many of the others are involved in promoting and campaigning on behalf of cyclists, it was very inclusive. After much conversation, coffee and cake the inevitable question was raised; what contribution can I make to the cycling debate that might,  even in some small way, help make a difference? The answer was quite simple and surprisingly obvious...write a blog about your experiences; document the bad and the good and tell the world about it.

I toyed with the idea of a blog before, the idea being to write about music and bikes under the heading Picks and Wheels but that fizzled out due mainly to lack of direction. So now that I have a direction here we go...